Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

How to configure your SQL database in SQL2005 Express

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
fixed, thanks chumpy, seems that you need winOS with all languages preinstalled, it wont work if u install Chinese after, if u install Chinese after you wont have the specific fonts to it.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Hey chumpy!

Ive decided to try again to get this system running in Vista64.
I done exactly as you showed in the guide above, but im still not getting any further.
I start client and there is no connection between client and SQL server. I can input any names and there is no check at all.

Is there any other way I can check the functionality of the database(s)? Running queries for XP_MD5 and creating an account worked fine.
My client is ok, its the same I use for (XP) server.

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sorry, i meant to update this earlier and forgot :/

In Vista it is almost definitely the firewall stopping it if you can ping centos but the server can't connect to sql. I'm using win7 x64 with 2005 express so there are definitely no issues there (though the firewall gave me grief for a few mins).

You can try this little trick to see if centos can connect to sql or not:

Drop it in your /root/ folder, chmod 0777 the .sh file and run it. It will try connecting to SQL and test a query using xp)md5 to test both. You should get 1 row back (letters and numbers, md5 for "test").

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Turned off vista firewall, no difference. So putty and winscp work fine.

That program returned 'could not SQLConnect'. Also did with sa accout too same thing.
What do you suggest is wrong. My config maybe??

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Im getting sql error:

Msg 2601, Level 14, State 1, Procedure cabal_tool_registerAccount, Line 10
Cannot insert duplicate key row in object 'dbo.cabal_auth_table' with unique index 'IX_cabal_auth_table'.
The statement has been terminated.
Msg 515, Level 16, State 2, Procedure cabal_tool_registerAccount, Line 16
Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'UserNum', table 'ACCOUNT.dbo.cabal_charge_auth'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
The statement has been terminated.
(1 row(s) affected)

This is to do with XP_MD5?? Should I use 64 bit version??

Also randomly, if I put an incorrect password, I get the error 'account/username not found' which means SQL is checking yes? Which means Im connecting? But will only do this once per running the client.

:grr:

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Ok i got it working!!
I turned off vista firewall for one, secondly, i added another option under linkedserver->security and added the 'sa' account and chose 'impersonate'.
This seemed to work but not sure why. I was just fiddling with options!

Hopes this also helps somebody else out there???

Ok edit on this...

I connect to cabal randomly. What I mean is, I will connect one time then not another. So its completly random. Im lost now. Officially!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
can someone help me? i got this error while installing database. -_-
===================================

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "GAMESERVER".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "GAMESERVER" returned message "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "GAMESERVER" returned message "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.". (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

Back