• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Old Rap VS New Rap

Which rap do you like better?

• Old Rap

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • New Rap

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
Don't you mean Bizzarro!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ofcourse it is? Dude don't get carried away by going with everything old. No one in this world likes old cartoons unless somethings wrong with ur brain. Stick to one topic please.

If most of the world sees a difference in old and new rap there is obviously something different there. So what if they rap about the same poop, girls, sex, gangs, what else is there to rap about? Doing your homework lmfao.

Its the lyrics and the way the song is thats totally different. Not really expecting you to understand but anyways idk if you get my point or not but a lot of people knows what im trying to say.

I don't mean to go off topic but I'm a firm believer in this nostalgic theory of people preferring old than new.
What he meant by old cartoons is the cartoons you watched when you were younger. I love all the cartoons I grew up watching, by societies standards their classified as old cartoons, not old as in 1940s stuff. But there's nothing wrong with some of those old Mickey Mouse cartoons. ;]
You know, to each his own. You can't put one category like rap into a comparison between its old and new styles. Its like saying every rapper in the 1990s was the same and every rapper in the 2007-present is the same(I can't remember when Souja Boy and Little Wayne got so popular but that's who people are really referring to when they say New Rap.). There's a lot of underground rappers living in the present that will blow your mind, theres also some people that are in mainstream that are pretty good. Lupe, ect. Most people who've rapped on a beatmade by producer named J Dilla are pretty good. Google J Dilla, and you'll find out a lot. Hes also influenced a lot of people who make beats and rap that are really good nowadays. I wouldn't know anything about this isn't wasn't for my cousin who makes beats who goes by ill pheonom, not trying to advertise but we are talking about this stuff in this thread. I believe hes part of the generation of "Hip Hop Restoration" if you'd like to call it that. But yeah, you can't compare these two categories because some of the old school rappers were a lot better than the popular new ones. Bascially inho every rapper you've see a video of on MTV or BET or VH1 nowadays is inferior to the old school rappers. and Don't try to post a video of a crappy old school artist to try and prove me wrong. This is my opinion, you can't prove an opinion wrong.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
So you agree with me, then? And by the way, I prefer old cartoons. I am sticking to one topic, you just can't seem to realize that they are all related. What else is there to rap about? Really? See, this is what I meant by the term ignorant. Life does not revolve around sex and luxuries, although it would be nice. Again, you're not providing any examples. I'm not arguing that old rap lyrics are different than new rap lyrics, but please, provide differences between the two. Yes, Eazy-E and Tupac's lyric were simple and flowed well, and yes, Lil Wayne's lyrics aren't always perfect, but sometimes they are well constructed and played out. You may defend old rap lyrics because of the fact that they were simple. Okay, and what if a "new rapper" has the same style? Then what's your argument?

Hahahah, I won't even be bothered to respond to this. I will just laugh.

LMFAO LMFFAAAAAAAAOO Are you high? Yes this is what the world revolves around. Without these life is pointless.

No i still don't agree without, i just bothered to stop argueing because not everyone will understand the difference. You need to first know what your listening to, to understand the difference. Its just just about the beat and the sound of the song.

But w/e not really gonna waste my time explaining this. Alot of other people know the difference if you zoom up and look at peoples post. If you don't agree with me thats your opinion, can't change that soooooo

suit yourself :)

Last edited:
bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
LMFAO LMFFAAAAAAAAOO Are you high? Yes this is what the world revolves around. Without these life is pointless.

No i still don't agree without, i just bothered to stop argueing because not everyone will understand the difference. You need to first know what your listening to, to understand the difference. Its just just about the beat and the sound of the song.

But w/e not really gonna waste my time explaining this. Alot of other people know the difference if you zoom up and look at peoples post. If you don't agree with me thats your opinion, can't change that soooooo

suit yourself :)

1) Can a Mod please move this to the Debate section? This shouldn't have been posted here in the first place.

2) Do you even have any idea what your saying? How does the world revolve around sex and luxuries? I'd love to hear your explanation on that. There are plenty of people who don't have luxuries or sex and live perfectly fine. Again, you say Rap back then was real. What was real about it and what makes now fake? The fact that people are more "bling" now? Again, it's a generation thing. Back then, your status wasn't entirely dependent on how much "ice" you have. That doesn't make it any more real.

In case you didn't know, because I see you refer to Lil Wayne a few times... he first became known when he was with the Cash Money Millionaires, which he is still affiliated with. He has the "street cred". If you listen to his early music, it is basically the same as the old rap. Why did he change? Because again, it's a generation thing. People aren't as into the old school persona like they once were.

Rap back then was all about violence and drugs... Funny how music still mentions all of that and then some now. The only real difference is the entire songs now aren't only about that. Yes, a lot of songs now seem to have 5+ topics compiled into one. Why? Because it sells now. Just like violence and drugs sold back then, "bling" and "pimpin hoes'" is what sells now. I don't know how else to explain it to you because it's obvious you're not understanding there is no real difference between the past and present.

On a side note: If "rap" now is less real, why is it more and more rappers are being arrested for gun and drug possession now than they were then? Isn't that your definition of real? If not, then please explain what it is. Please don't think by me saying all this, I am a fan of the new music. Quite the opposite. I have and always will love the old rap, simply because of the reason Savage explained. It reminds me of past times, and any human who didn't have emotional/physical issues in their youth, enjoys reminiscing. That's what old rap does, which is why so many people prefer it.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
1) Can a Mod please move this to the Debate section? This shouldn't have been posted here in the first place.

2) Do you even have any idea what your saying? How does the world revolve around sex and luxuries? I'd love to hear your explanation on that. There are plenty of people who don't have luxuries or sex and live perfectly fine. Again, you say Rap back then was real. What was real about it and what makes now fake? The fact that people are more "bling" now? Again, it's a generation thing. Back then, your status wasn't entirely dependent on how much "ice" you have. That doesn't make it any more real.

In case you didn't know, because I see you refer to Lil Wayne a few times... he first became known when he was with the Cash Money Millionaires, which he is still affiliated with. He has the "street cred". If you listen to his early music, it is basically the same as the old rap. Why did he change? Because again, it's a generation thing. People aren't as into the old school persona like they once were.

Rap back then was all about violence and drugs... Funny how music still mentions all of that and then some now. The only real difference is the entire songs now aren't only about that. Yes, a lot of songs now seem to have 5+ topics compiled into one. Why? Because it sells now. Just like violence and drugs sold back then, "bling" and "pimpin hoes'" is what sells now. I don't know how else to explain it to you because it's obvious you're not understanding there is no real difference between the past and present.

On a side note: If "rap" now is less real, why is it more and more rappers are being arrested for gun and drug possession now than they were then? Isn't that your definition of real? If not, then please explain what it is. Please don't think by me saying all this, I am a fan of the new music. Quite the opposite. I have and always will love the old rap, simply because of the reason Savage explained. It reminds me of past times, and any human who didn't have emotional/physical issues in their youth, enjoys reminiscing. That's what old rap does, which is why so many people prefer it.

A lot of rappers get arrested because they want street credit? Isn't that obvious?

I don't really know what more there is to explain, but i do know there is a difference, weather its the generation thing or not there is still a difference.

What do you mean "Mods end this debate" isn't that why the thread is here? 'Old Rap vs New Rap', obviously there is going to be a debate here. You can tell just by the title there is.

Well i don't really care what you believe, Listen to whatever you want, not like i really care?

Don't you mean Bizzarro!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
:p
C.R.E.A.M

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjZRAvsZf1g]YouTube - Wu Tang Clan "C.R.E.A.M."[/ame]

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Wu tang, 2pac, biggie, krs one, big l, rakim, guru.. poop I miss that.

Current rap doesn't represent anything nor has any emotions in it. It's just bling bling crap to pull out more money out of it.

Old school sang the truth.

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT-hYXqTN38]YouTube - Mos Def - Auditorium (Feat. Slick Rick)[/ame] this is rather new, whats wrong with this ? some arguments instead just of "its new, it sucks" would be nice

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter weather its rap or hip hop. Its the fact old ones are better then the new ones. It is not the same thing. Old rap was actually about real things unlike new rap which is all fake. Plus look at the lyrics, The old rap had way better lyrics then current rap. You need to actually listen to it often to understand the difference, For those who don't listen to rap I'm pretty sure they wouldn't beable to tell the difference. I actualyl listen to it and look at the lyrics and i see a huge difference.

You are stupid. Plain and simple, you have no understanding of music in general. The fact that you keep using Tupac, Biggie, and Easy E proves it. You have yet to mention Bone Thugz N Harmony, Three 6 Mafia, and Tech N9Ne (who has been around since Tupac).

Also, you keep using Lil Wayne as the catalyst of why rap is dead today. Please witch, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, Eminem, Dre, and Ludacris are the niggaz that are keeping this genre alive. You need to be mentioning people like Young Jeezy and T.I. as the people that are killing rap.

Edit: This is specifically for you Mike. Just so you know how dumb you are, if you can listen to this and say that new rap sucks, then you are truly retarded, because this was released 2 months ago. The artists featured in this song, in order of appearance, Tech N9ne, Craig Smith, and Krizz Kaliko

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xncz9qW48X8"]YouTube- Like I Died (Remix) - Tech N9ne - The Lost Scripts Of K.O.D.[/ame]

And just an extra duck YOU. Here's one that's all Tech.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9cQ22Kic8E"]YouTube- Tech N9ne - 00N9NA[/ame]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also I like how everyone here can make a clear distinction between rap and hip hop but can't say what the difference is.

"Hip hop music is a musical genre which developed as part of hip hop culture, and is defined by key stylistic elements such as rapping, DJing, sampling, scratching and beatboxing."

EDIT: well either way I'll come back here every now and then and post "new school rap/hip hop" if it isn't considered offtopic
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7UmiSl7Rb4"]YouTube- Promoe - Headache[/ame]

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
the rap in these days is alright.. but the old ones is great.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Old Rap is owning Current Rap lol by looking at the poll.
Haven't checked this thread for awhile.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
This is hardly a poll.

99% of these people will choose old rap over new rap for the cred and R3SP3C7.

A real thread like this with actual results can NOT be done.

I'm really not a big fan of rap, but I'd have to go with newer. I'm a Kanye/Jay-Z kind of dude.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
This is hardly a poll.

99% of these people will choose old rap over new rap for the cred and R3SP3C7.

A real thread like this with actual results can NOT be done.

I'm really not a big fan of rap, but I'd have to go with newer. I'm a Kanye/Jay-Z kind of dude.

Nope thats probably just what your assuming. Not everyone gives a **** about cred or respect. Speak for yourself only please.

@ontopic

I don't really know what to say about Jay Z, hes also been around back then with tupac and the others.

Last edited:
Back