Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Some advice for my USA road trip

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys so some may remember I've mentioned I'm going to drive from LA to NY in 4 weeks with some buddies starting next monday and I guess it's about time to ask for some advice.

At the moment I'm wondering about a prepaid mobile, where to get one and what kind of options I have, anything I should possibly know about different carriers etc..? I doubt I'll need calls that much but unlimited data is a must have for me.

Reaction score
How fun! Me and a friend of mine have actually planned a road trip in the United States in a couple of years as well, but we're going from WA to NY. You can buy a prepaid phone at Walmart. There's one in every state but Alaska. That's all I know. I just used Google to find out, so you will probably get better replies than this.

Good luck!

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Go to the burger places, even if you're on a diet. Burgers are delicous in the US. Atleast when i went to LA and NY they were delicous as hell. ( I'm not talking about Mcdonalds or Burgerking ) :p Good luck, man.

Reaction score
As someone who's road tripped a ton here is my list of advice

-Load up on your iPod/MP3, not with just music, comedy albums are good too.
-Try new foods, no matter how gross they look, they normally are delicious.
-Don't eat too much fast food, it'll just make you stop at gross rest-stops more
-Take the scenic route in between taking the fastest route (1 hour scenic, cut over, 2 hours fastest)
-DO NOT PICK UP HITCHHIKERS UNDER ANY Ducking CIRCUMSTANCES, they stink and normally are crazy.
-If you feel tired, pull over and nap.
-Stop in small towns and walk around to stretch your legs and check out local places.
-Don't be a penis to locals, don't be obnoxious.
-Don't go to bars in the midwest as a foreigner, or the deep south. People get obnoxiously drunk and will try to pick fights with you.
-Take as many pictures as humanly possible

Reaction score
Bestbuy has every prepay sim card that I know of, have a look and see which ones will be useable by your phone would be my best advice. Unless theres a RZ member living near to where you will be landing and can gift you an old phone.

Rogu3
Reaction score
As someone who's road tripped a ton here is my list of advice

-Load up on your iPod/MP3, not with just music, comedy albums are good too.
-Try new foods, no matter how gross they look, they normally are delicious.
-Don't eat too much fast food, it'll just make you stop at gross rest-stops more
-Take the scenic route in between taking the fastest route (1 hour scenic, cut over, 2 hours fastest)
-DO NOT PICK UP HITCHHIKERS UNDER ANY Ducking CIRCUMSTANCES, they stink and normally are crazy.
-If you feel tired, pull over and nap.
-Stop in small towns and walk around to stretch your legs and check out local places.
-Don't be a penis to locals, don't be obnoxious.
-Don't go to bars in the midwest as a foreigner, or the deep south. People get obnoxiously drunk and will try to pick fights with you.
-Take as many pictures as humanly possible
It's also illegal to hitchhike in most or all states in the United States, so be aware of that. When you get to New York, try to eat outside of Manhattan and outside of New York City pretty much. Everything there is much more than the actual price. McDonalds in New Jersey is $1.00 for a McDouble on the Dollar Menu. New York City's McDonald's doesn't even have a Dollar Menu. (Not to suggest you're going to eat McDonalds, but all the prices are pretty high there). I would eat a restaurant in NYC only once because it's expensive. When you're paying the bill, check on the bottom of the bill/check. If it says Gratuity, Grat., GRT Tax, Tip, or anything of that matter, do not leave a tip. That means the tip is covered in the bill and they'll sometimes scam you into leaving extra money.

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Oh right speaking of tipping, what's a good policy on that? We don't really have the tipping culture here at all.

Depends upon how you feel the service and food was, but a typical tip is somewhere in the vicinity of 15%

We would usually just round up or down depending on the food/service, so 10% for bad and 20% for good.

Back