• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Work-in-progress Gunz Emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Sure, as long as you can define the behavior server-side. I don't see why, though.

Extreme Coder - Delphi
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Team Zebra can you fill me in on what your Emulator can do atm, im so excited ;D

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Dude, seriously, just read. Everything that's in the public revision is in the first post's readme. I haven't done much since the last update, been busy with life and other stuff.

Reading isn't one of your strong points, I'm guessing.

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
read the title of the thread Q__Q

its a GunZ Emulator, it emulates the server so its not illegal to run the server =P

Breaking in to the MRS files isn't illegal, eh?
Changing system.xml to connect your IP isn't illegal, eh?
Using the MatchAgent isn't illegal, eh?

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
No offense, but i can't really find anything intresting here besides it being released as Open Source and it being an Emulator... Maybe over time it will improve ,but currently i doubt it will even reduce your chances of getting sued. Thumbs up anyway, hope this project wasn't a waste of time for your team.

There is no Gunz emulator, just a stolen Matchserver. This will make it a lot easier to develop for server-side.

Edit: It's also really helpful for those learning C#.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
But I don't want to improve MatchServer, I want to make something of my own. Much more fun, more of a challenge, and more possible features, including the ability to support any client version I feel like putting the effort into supporting.

Also, the two lesser devs on the team quit because of personal reasons, I'm the only person on the team as of now. I was the main dev though and did most of the work so this shouldn't really hinder development. But I can't put much time into this at all until summer, school has me far too busy to commit to anything at this point.

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
But I don't want to improve MatchServer, I want to make something of my own. Much more fun, more of a challenge, and more possible features, including the ability to support any client version I feel like putting the effort into supporting.

Also, the two lesser devs on the team quit because of personal reasons, I'm the only person on the team as of now. I was the main dev though and did most of the work so this shouldn't really hinder development. But I can't put much time into this at all until summer, school has me far too busy to commit to anything at this point.

I might work on it. To be honest, I haven't even looked properly into it, I only have C# 2008 Express, and installing Visual Studio 2008 Pro ATM. I've done a client emulator before so it's not very hard.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Wizkid, look into SharpDevelop once. I think you may like it. At least I personally like using it.

Anyhow, sorry on those team losses, hopefully you can get those back up.

Also, people are missing the point to emulation. What's the point in emulating? You control HOW the MatchServer functions, and if you don't see the power in that shame to you. It would allow you to easily extend certain functionality and allow things to be done easier than an Assembler edit. Also if you want you could implement it for MySQL, build in a web server, or whatever the hell else you'd want.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Wizkid, look into SharpDevelop once. I think you may like it. At least I personally like using it.

Anyhow, sorry on those team losses, hopefully you can get those back up.

Also, people are missing the point to emulation. What's the point in emulating? You control HOW the MatchServer functions, and if you don't see the power in that shame to you. It would allow you to easily extend certain functionality and allow things to be done easier than an Assembler edit. Also if you want you could implement it for MySQL, build in a web server, or whatever the hell else you'd want.

Lol. Not too sure if I even want to regain the losses at this point. The experience taught me that I work better on my own for things like this :p But thanks.

I've been thinking about starting from scratch and porting this over to C++, but I'm not entirely sure on this yet. Still debating that. I'd need to brush up on my C++ skills, I don't know a thing about networking in C++ and I wanna research it thoroughly so I'm not implementing data structures in a stupid or useless manner, C# and Java have been my main languages for the last 2 years but I like what C++ would offer as far as developmental benefits go.

Anyhow, that's still up in the air. If I do decide to make that transition, I'll still work on the C# version while I study C++ some more, I don't know it well enough to write a server in it yet and I don't want to half-butt it.

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Awesome work, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you can come up with once your testing is done and you get another chance to work on this some more.

Hit me up if you need help, I'm pretty experienced with C#.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
If it was in C++ i would have been glad to help you, but using Mono, can't you run .net applications on Linux ? I think the best would be to make your emulator run on every OS (at least linux / mac / windows) so if you recode it in C++ mind using a Library like Qt wich handle GUI and sockets and allow you to make a cross platform application.

I'm going to start a MatchServer clone in C++ and wxWidgets to make it cross-platform, but just for fun, maybe i will release it as open source.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I've written a class to remotely control the server.

At the moment it allows you :
-to send command to server (like /rawsql query)
-to send command to client

TODO :
-Login
-Multiple client at once (working on that)
-and more :)

edit : Okay I'm giving actual source, so you might help me :) (started learning C# not so long ago).

Well at the moment, you can connect 1 client at once , I cannot run a gunz server, so I "emulated" the emulator I wrote what need to be changed in the server class, and you must add parameters to the config.ini.

_Put TcpRemoteServer in Networking folder (it's a member of that namespace).

_in Globals.cs add :
PHP:
/// <summary>
/// the Port the remote server will listen on
/// </summary>
public static int remotePort = int.Parse(config.readValue("REMOTE", "PORT"));

_in IniFile.cs add :
PHP:
 configCreator.WriteLine();
configCreator.WriteLine();
configCreator.WriteLine("[REMOTE]");
configCreator.WriteLine("PORT=");

I "think" (since I can't run gunz server I couldn't test ><) it can be implemented as a new thread.

I ask for help :)

Screenshot :

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I was searching for emulators, and this was what I found for the login server which looked similar:

http://forum.ragezone.com/f245/login-server-locator-emulator-454981/

I'll just go ahead and admit now, I'm RoA lol. I've been RoA the whole time, there's been no team, I just wanted to have fun with this for a bit. Anyway, the Locator I released in this thread is basically a modified version of the one I released last year, just tidied up the code a bit. Took a few data structures from my Locator emu and used them in the framework for my MatchServer emu.

As far as progress on revision 4, therre's almost none. I won't be able to pick back up on development heavily for a few more weeks. I have 6 AP tests to take this year and need to study for at least 2 of them, and prom is tomorrow night, along with a few other school functions coming up that I'm a part of. So I won't be able to pick back up on development until after I graduate (May 16th), school and work have kept me very busy lately.

Also, I will be sticking to this name, I got tired of RepublicOfAstra. It's been around too long and it was never intended to be permanent on the first place, just kinda stuck. Sorry if anyone thought there was some new mystery dev bursting into the scene outta nowhere, lol.

Anyway, enjoy. I'll get to revision 4 in the next few weeks, probably.

-Team Zebra

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'll just go ahead and admit now, I'm RoA lol. I've been RoA the whole time, there's been no team, I just wanted to have fun with this for a bit. Anyway, the Locator I released in this thread is basically a modified version of the one I released last year, just tidied up the code a bit. Took a few data structures from my Locator emu and used them in the framework for my MatchServer emu.

As far as progress on revision 4, therre's almost none. I won't be able to pick back up on development heavily for a few more weeks. I have 6 AP tests to take this year and need to study for at least 2 of them, and prom is tomorrow night, along with a few other school functions coming up that I'm a part of. So I won't be able to pick back up on development until after I graduate (May 16th), school and work have kept me very busy lately.

Also, I will be sticking to this name, I got tired of RepublicOfAstra. It's been around too long and it was never intended to be permanent on the first place, just kinda stuck. Sorry if anyone thought there was some new mystery dev bursting into the scene outta nowhere, lol.

-Team Zebra

Here's for anyone who didn't believe it was me. :p

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted once I make progress, there are a few other things I'm working on as well.

Daemonsring Developer
Reaction score

-Team Zebra
That explains why in revision 2 there is a character with the name RepublicOfAstra
Good luck with your AP tests :thumbup:

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Decided to work a little on this tonight, I'll update this post as progress is made.

Got the lobby working, currently writing a few data structures so dynamic lobbies are supported, right now it sends everyone to the same place. Once that's done, I'll do chatting and stuff, then I need to go back and do char creation/deletion lol.

Team Zebra - Work-in-progress Gunz Emulator - RaGEZONE Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back