Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Becoming a Dev.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Allright, recently I found out that I want to become a Developer(Yeah....).
Developing Flyff Server Related things... I know it's broad.​

And I was wondering where to start,
Any Tips?
Any Comments?

(I Know I'm gonna get flamed a lot, but I don't care. Go ahead. I'm sure there's gonna be someone that helps.)

Sincerly,

DryIce

Found a place to live.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone flame you for wanting to learn to program ;)

Anyways, I think the first step would be choosing what programming language you want to use. Quite a few to choose from, some are better than others, some are easier than others, but in the end it's all on you.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Allright, recently I found out that I want to become a Developer(Yeah....).
Developing Flyff Server Related things... I know it's broad.​

And I was wondering where to start,
Any Tips?
Any Comments?

(I Know I'm gonna get flamed a lot, but I don't care. Go ahead. I'm sure there's gonna be someone that helps.)

Sincerly,

DryIce

1- Choose a programming language
2- Master your programming language
3- ????
4- PROFIT!!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Allright, What do you think is the best programming language to learn?
What were the Official Files scripted in?

DryIce.

offonline
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Download a clean flyff (*Repack/source?*), the flyff files required to create a f-server. Play around with the codes :closedeyes:

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Maybe start it Visual Basic, It is like a very basic program lol. Easy as to learn, Use it as a start point

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Start with C++, one of the hardest and master it. If you know how to program a server in C++ you don't need to know another language or you know things of C++ that you can use in this language.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
I suggest you start with C++. Learn the basics to that, then you can move into php scripting or C# (both have similar syntaxes to C++), or stay with C++. You might also want to check out and look at the info they have on webpages.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
if you have choosen c++ check out antiRTFM's c++ tuts on youtube
our pick up a copy of C++ for dummies

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So.. C++ It is?
I kinda get the advantages,
But What all can you do with it, everything?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
When they say everything they mean you can control about every aspect of the program and its spot in memory.

One of the biggest bitches in C++ are pointers. For beginners they can become intimidating and a quick wall in the road if not prepared.

Learn how to handle the following if choosing C++:

1. Variables - all of them including strings and mem pointers.
2. Arrays and Hash Tables - powerful containers if used properly.
3. Loops - all kinds including "do" and "while".

Learn to load 90% of your data from text files instead of all in mysql/mssql. You will save on transfer between the database and the program.

If you want a jumping off point, and only that, I suggest learning how the open source c++ files I worked on are structured. There you will have an idea on how everything works and there is also a packet system already created.

BTW, the officials were coded in DirectX/C++ if any one is curious.

Reaction score
C++ is certainly the main programming language used, and lie glaphan said the really big deal will be with pointer (yeah i learn it too) i don't know any tuts about C++ in english but i suggest you to use Visual studio express from microsoft if you are on windows cause it's really helpfull. I tryed Dev-c++ but i prefer visual studio.

If after a try you find it to hard to master, then at least you will have learn how a program interact with memory and a lot of thing you will find in other langage. Personnally i have started in C# cause it's easiest to start programming that C++, and people don't speak a lot about it but a new langage have been developed named F# (if i make a mistake, thanks to tell me) and this programmig language will take the advantage of all the others...

easy like C#
fast like C++
you can implement python and perl code in your program. It will be usable on linus/windows/mac... i think i will try to learn more about this language later, but it's what i have read...

You can also try java but idon't know a lot about it...

After, what you can choose, reallly deped on you... You want something easy to learn i suggest C#. You want something that you can use for professionnal work later ? Well most of the program are developed in C++ actually (after C++ you should find java and perhaps after C#, but it's what i think) so you should learn C++...

Found a place to live.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
As someone else suggested, this link has been passed around here for a while now.

Pretty good tutorials, from start to finish he's still adding more.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm considering learning the C's so I'll take a look into it. XD never been interested in it but I know some like "cout" and the imput and output streams.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Lol One more question,

What is DirectX?
As Glaphan said the official files were created using DirectX/C++...

Found a place to live.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lol One more question,

What is DirectX?
As Glaphan said the official files were created using DirectX/C++...

This is when we start saying Google.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah lol thank you, but what can you code from it?
What are the Pros and Cons?

EDIT: Nvm, found this

Thanks to google lol my bad.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Hey I wanted to make a thread about this too, but i saw this and thought is good idea to post here too.

I want to be a dev too :|

And i know i have to learn ALOT THINGS .... and I'd like to know with what to start ? I think I can't start 1st with C++.

What i know is only php .... thats all known things in programimg :|

Thanks ;)

Back