Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide] Compiling with Visual C# (Saga Revised)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
For this guide i will use Saga Revised Rev54 and Compile it with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition which is free to download (google it).

Step 1: Obtaining Server Files From SVN.

After installing TurtoiseSVN (which i recommend to use) rightclick on your Desktop and select this option:

Mausie - [Guide] Compiling with Visual C# (Saga Revised) - RaGEZONE Forums

Now it will ask you for the SVN address to download from and a destination where to download the files to.
Your dialog should look something like this:

Just click the fancy [OK] button and wait for your files to be downloaded.

Step 2: Compiling the files using Visual C#

For people that never worked with C# or C++ before...
The main file you have to open is the so called "Solution" file.
Solution files are the files with the *.sln extension.
As you might see, this version of Saga Revised has 2 Solution files.
If you're not sure which one you should use, pick "SagaRevisided_Visual Studio 2008 Express.sln"

Now Visual C# will load the Solution.

If you are curious about how it works....
A solution file is like a book's cover.
Its basically a main file that contains all the source scripts.
Opening the solution will load the complete project.

Now your Visual C# screen should look something like this:

At the moment i assume all you want to do is compile it, so we wont change anything in the source now.

All you have to do now is click Build > Build Solution.
Or if you're REALLY lazy, you can also press F6.

It will now build your solution.

Note: Receiving "Warnings" will most likely not harm your build. You should only be worried if u get any "Errors" during your build.

If you did everything right you might get a few warnings the first time, but no errors.

Now do the same process for Abstraction/Saga.Data.sln and Tools/Saga.Tools.sln.

This is basically how you compile Saga Revised.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nice i was wainting for this...
How it work? could you please explain a little?
regards joshs!
By the way, i modified 143.lua (codifed that file to can work, wich is a quest-mishar on homime) then i built saga.map then run saga.map.exe but the game never take my change :S any idea???
Using common Revised donwloaded from a link on ragezone....

EDITED:
For this guide i will use Saga Revised Rev54
* Cant Donwload from TortoiseSVN, ip appear dont work or need username and pass....
Could you put a link?

Thx

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Downloading from the SVN i provided will not require you to login...
Should just work fine (it does for everyone)

If you modified code in the source and it doesn't change things, i can't help u with it, this guide is specifically for COMPILING, not editing the source...thats why i clearly said i assumed all you want is to compile it to get it working, not to change anything in the source.
Personally i have very little experience with C# Coding, so can't tell u if what u edited should work or anything...

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Downloading from the SVN i provided will not require you to login...
Should just work fine (it does for everyone)

If you modified code in the source and it doesn't change things, i can't help u with it, this guide is specifically for COMPILING, not editing the source...thats why i clearly said i assumed all you want is to compile it to get it working, not to change anything in the source.
Personally i have very little experience with C# Coding, so can't tell u if what u edited should work or anything...

Hmmmm well i work with java and c++ and programs like netbeans or jcreator or other of this kind when you COMPILE, save the change you did to the source, i suppose with VB is the same when compile.....anyway im trying to figure out how work exactly vb...but i think after take my exams ill watch it deep...
regards!

PS: cant download the file Rev54, dont know what it is but dont let me download it...

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Rev54 stands for "Revision 54" it shows up after your download is complete.
Something like "Download completed at Revision: 54"

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@elche27
You don't have to recomile when changing the lua-scripts. They are read and interpreted on run-time. Only if you change code within the C# solution you have to recompile.

One problem that might occur when u check out using toirtoise (or some other svn client) is that you get a version controlled copy (note the green !'s on all folders and files) of the code when what you actually want is export a copy. I haven't tried toirtoise so I don't know how to achieve that there, but with (for instance) SlikSvn (dl: ) use:
svn.exe export -rHEAD --force c:\saga

This will give you a non version controlled copy of the code.

.cha0s

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
@elche27
You don't have to recomile when changing the lua-scripts. They are read and interpreted on run-time. Only if you change code within the C# solution you have to recompile.

One problem that might occur when u check out using toirtoise (or some other svn client) is that you get a version controlled copy (note the green !'s on all folders and files) of the code when what you actually want is export a copy. I haven't tried toirtoise so I don't know how to achieve that there, but with (for instance) SlikSvn (dl: ) use:
svn.exe export -rHEAD --force c:\saga

This will give you a non version controlled copy of the code.

.cha0s

@cha0s
Thank you very much, you clear several doubt!
I could donwload the serverfiles with sliksvn!
My regards

PS: Mr chaos, sry 4 bother but you know why when you debug with vb, the program use the saga.map.exe located on folder: /saga.map/bin/debug (this give me an error 'System.Generic' when is run it, i think have to do with the "using System.generic" wich found on some file.cs....) and not use the saga.map.exe wich is locate on Binary folder???
Josh

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
thanx for this tools...

i could export serverfile from so easly :thumbup1:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I need svn for Saga Legacy i cant compile they cs files!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@Onishakal:

.cha0s

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
thanks chaos, i already found ^^
But thanks for reply.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hmmmm well i work with java and c++ and programs like netbeans or jcreator or other of this kind when you COMPILE, save the change you did to the source, i suppose with VB is the same when compile.....anyway im trying to figure out how work exactly vb...but i think after take my exams ill watch it deep...
regards!

PS: cant download the file Rev54, dont know what it is but dont let me download it...

Just a side note: if you work so much with Java, then C# shouldn't be too difficult, C#'s syntax resembles a VM-less Java, so to speak (But has several elements of C++ as well).

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
uhum. yeah. thanks. successfully compiled but hey where can i get updated plugins.?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I believe you would have to build a complete make file to even attempt to build this in linux.. then again it uses precompiled dynamic link libraries so right now I am pretty sure its windows only. :/

Back