Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Holic and/or Cloud Nine

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Upon hexing the orz files, I've learned that they are actually .dir files. I'm pretty sure they aren't Adobe Director files, but something like a "directory file." Does anyone know how to convert a file into a directory? Or what would open a DIR file as an archive/directory other than the game?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
well if its going to be a holic or c9 server then im voting on Holic, its way better then c9.

Btw did anything have the files or did you guys work on it with the client? just wanna know. i wish to help :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, I don't know how to extract the files and I'm really bad at Googling things, so "how to extract with hex" won't help me much. But the moment I learn anything or an experienced private server maker posts anything will be the moment we all learn. I would totally love the help though. There was one once upon a time called HolicBar. It's on some site called ********** or something. The HolicBar server is dead, as is the site, so there's no hope for tips from them.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Not really a way for us to create an effective emulator since Holic is down, so there's nothing we can do unless somebody ever got their hands on the official files.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Not really a way for us to create an effective emulator since Holic is down, so there's nothing we can do unless somebody ever got their hands on the official files.

True. Maybe Cloud Nine would do just fine. The hard part is doing anything with that since the launcher has protection. Protection prevents you coder guys from making emulators or servers, right?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
True. Maybe Cloud Nine would do just fine. The hard part is doing anything with that since the launcher has protection. Protection prevents you coder guys from making emulators or servers, right?
Last I checked, you could just modify the IP in the ini?
If not, you'd have to unpack the launcher and any checks, then hex the ip.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
But there's no IPs to connect to, that is unless connecting to 127.0.0.1 is good enough and it connects to emptiness world. At least I'd be able to browse the maps.

EDIT: Here's something I just learned! I right-clicked on the HolicLauncher_USA.exe and the HolicUSA.exe and learned that I could extract them with 7-Zip. I got some strange, unnamed files with only extentions like ".data", ".debug0", ".rdata", ".rsrc", and ".text" and I opened each in a hex editor only to find mostly garbled characters and maybe some strings like "ERROR_ACCOUNT_EXPIRED" and stuff like that except in the .debug0 file. Here's everything that was in that, copied the entire document:

NB10....y..G....C:\WinCVS\xEngine\built\SSOL\Release_USA\HolicUSA.pdb.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
who'd be willing to program that emulator. set up a team, seek out people interested.

edit; obviously i'm interested, i just have no programming experience in "official" languages

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Last I checked, you could just modify the IP in the ini?
If not, you'd have to unpack the launcher and any checks, then hex the ip.

But what will changing the IP do? Just connect it to my computer? Don't I still need server files and whatnot, or would it play like a "single player" mode? And on unpacking, how would I do that and what program would you recommend?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
But what will changing the IP do? Just connect it to my computer? Don't I still need server files and whatnot, or would it play like a "single player" mode? And on unpacking, how would I do that and what program would you recommend?
Without server files, there's no reason for us to take our time to unpack the client. You're just dreaming and wasting your time. We can't really do anything that would be worth our time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is the game packed at all? Why not just attach a debugger to it and find the encryption/decryption? As far as local hosting goes I could upload my hack.dll that will local host the client.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I now have more spare time and I got interested again. :)

I need some help with getting the client work. I can't seem to find a way to skip the patcher without corrupting the client.

Also all info about the servers is welcome. I assume that at least login and world servers are separated. :eek:

// --- Edit --- //

I'm able to start the game in offline mode but I still need to find out the very first packets exchanged between client and server to be able to go multiplayer.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I now have more spare time and I got interested again. :)

I need some help with getting the client work. I can't seem to find a way to skip the patcher without corrupting the client.

Also all info about the servers is welcome. I assume that at least login and world servers are separated. :eek:

// --- Edit --- //

I'm able to start the game in offline mode but I still need to find out the very first packets exchanged between client and server to be able to go multiplayer.

Henry, how did you do that? That alone is almost amazing enough! But still, we should look into the multiplayer. Perhaps we can learn from the singleplayer?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Henry, how did you do that? That alone is almost amazing enough! But still, we should look into the multiplayer. Perhaps we can learn from the singleplayer?

Use Ollydbg to change
Code:
0043FDAE     /74 1B         JE SHORT 0043FDCB
To
Code:
0043FDAE     /EB 1B         JMP SHORT 0043FDCB
and add
Code:
[RUN_OPTION]
TestMode=1
at the end of your Option.ini.

I have already gathered some info about packets but I can't figure out the very first packets. It's the biggest problem. :/

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Use Ollydbg to change
Code:
0043FDAE     /74 1B         JE SHORT 0043FDCB
To
Code:
0043FDAE     /EB 1B         JMP SHORT 0043FDCB
and add
Code:
[RUN_OPTION]
TestMode=1
at the end of your Option.ini.

I have already gathered some info about packets but I can't figure out the very first packets. It's the biggest problem. :/

Well, I edited the string with Ollydbg, but I can't seem to get the game to run. How do I do it? Oh, and thanks for your help so far.

EDIT: I didn't add the [RUN_OPTION] line by mistake. But now when I open it, it displays a weird box with what I am guessing is Korean without a Korean font?

EDIT AGAIN: It was the resolution. The default square resolution was trying to stretch over a wide screen. Forgot Holic doesn't do that. Changed it up. Now I'm at the loading screen.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, I edited the string with Ollydbg, but I can't seem to get the game to run. How do I do it? Oh, and thanks for your help so far.

EDIT: I didn't add the [RUN_OPTION] line by mistake. But now when I open it, it displays a weird box with what I am guessing is Korean without a Korean font?

EDIT AGAIN: It was the resolution. The default square resolution was trying to stretch over a wide screen. Forgot Holic doesn't do that. Changed it up. Now I'm at the loading screen.

That edit with Olly should disable that message and remember to run HolicUSA.exe and not the launcher.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think I'm going to try and crack the EXE with that code you gave me. I just finished running all'round. I have to thank you. That was a great flashback. I wonder if anything would've been different if I had the upgraded version of the client. While we're at it, since you have an understanding of how to get this far (thank you very much!) would you happen to know what method the game uses to open the ORZ files? That is, if any program you're using displays that information. It might try to show them as DIR files.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think I'm going to try and crack the EXE with that code you gave me. I just finished running all'round. I have to thank you. That was a great flashback. I wonder if anything would've been different if I had the upgraded version of the client. While we're at it, since you have an understanding of how to get this far (thank you very much!) would you happen to know what method the game uses to open the ORZ files? That is, if any program you're using displays that information. It might try to show them as DIR files.

Zlib might be used to compress the files because there's zlib1.dll in HolicUSA directory. I have some quest info so I could try to figure out the quest.orz

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks. Now to learn the workings of zlib. Very confusing for me.

EDIT: That is, I'll try to learn it. You seem like you're on a roll, so I'm not going to try and slow you down at all.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, dear. Just looking at the example usage page for zlib baffled me. I can't follow it. But it takes time and patience, right?

Last edited:
Back