Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MSSQL Server 2008 + Xampp connectivity issue

Newbie Spellweaver
Joined
Aug 22, 2022
Messages
15
Reaction score
2
Greetings, RageZoners!

I have encountered a serious problem with establishing a connection to my MSSQL server. I've tried pretty much every fix there is on the internet(including solutions from Spanish forums, etc.). Please mind, this problem stops me from installing WebEngine but when working with MuOnline game files, it did not cause any issues and I could launch a server locally.

I believe this to be a problem with either the MSSQL 2008 version or within Xampp itself but I hope I'm wrong. The reason for this belief is because I am able to connect to my server with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio(both with Windows authentication and SQL Server authentication) but am unable to connect with anything else. For simplicity reasons, let's take Telnet - whenever I try to connect to the local network IP(server IP), it tries to establish the connection on Port 23, which fails to connect, and also when specifying the 1433 port, Telnet just goes black and crashes.
Essentially, the main issue is that within WebEngine installation, database connection section returns "Could not connect to database (1)" error.

Now, I've spend a lot of time making sure I didn't miss any simple requirements like Firewall inbound rules and so on...
Please also note that I've encountered this issue on two different computers and also two different networks(different Internet Service Providers - further as ISP) and in all cases, the situation is the same.

Basically, I am looking for someone who has had this same issue and knows a fix, because I believe that this time it's not a matter of "finding the solution" but finding someone who already knows the solution. I know this sounds stupid in the development world but at this point I can assure that Google or ChatGPT does not know the fix for my case.
I hope that this does not break any RZ rules but after spending probably more than 40h on this, I am willing to pay to anyone who can help me fix this.
If there is someone who would like to take on this, please reach out to me and we can discuss how much, when and why...

Here are a few things that could give you an idea of what the problem might be.

I have made sure that:
  • This is not a Firewall issue(inbound rules are present and turning it off whatsoever did not change anything)
  • Named pipes are enabled, TPC/IP configuration is set according to many guides and fixes, plus I've tried to change many things there myself
  • SQL Server is listening to 1433 port and no other unnecessary applications are trying to use the port
  • SQL Server Browser Service is enabled
  • I've enabled proper extensions and drivers for these connections
  • SQL logs and Windows Event Manager did not show any sign of failed connections or errors within the server
  • SQL configuration is set, allowing remote connections, and also Windows authentication and SQL Server authentication
  • SQL Server is running properly(like I mentioned earlier, there were no issues running game files locally(Louis, Setecsoft, IGCN)
  • Local network, ISP and Router settings are not purposely blocking any ports and connections
  • I've tried using alternative ports
  • No mistakes were made in SQL Server login details or Database name
A thing that I am not 100% certain of not causing the issue is that when using port checker websites, they all showed me that my 1433 port is closed but I'm questioning the relevancy of this because they check remote connections(they check the Internet IP address, not Network IP) and I'm running the server locally. Though, I've tried to enable it for remote connections but I did not manage to do it through Router settings. If anyone had their 1433 port open(confirmed with any software or online port checkers) upon installing WebEngine CMS, please let me know.

If you want to contact me, you can PM me in RZ or add me in Discord - krengs#8164

As soon as I find a solution(either by myself or with someone else's help), I will post it here.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
 
Newbie Spellweaver
Joined
Aug 22, 2022
Messages
15
Reaction score
2
PDO ODBC driver. Sorry for the delay.

Hello, everyone!

Together with rpgmmo, we found that there is some core issue or conflict with MSSQL Server 2008 version and WebEngine.
Essentially, the solution is to upgrade to a newer version of MSSQL Server. 2012 version worked for me but rpgmmo confirmed that even MSSQL 2019 worked well with the installation(compatibility with game files for Season 6 is in question though as we did not check for that).

By following tutorials, I was convinced that MSSQL 2008 version was necessary for a Season 6 server but it turns out that it's not by any means. While working with this problem, I found out that MSSQL 2008 is terrible compared to other versions. There are a lot of unresolved issues because the said version is long abandoned. You also can't do an audit in the 2008 version which is very handy when you want to track your databases.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
17,356
Reaction score
3,238
sql 2008 used to work fine back then with web engine too, maybe nowdays there is something outdated and it brings issue, best versions for mu are now: sql 2012 or 2014 or 2016/2017.

2019 ok too, if u know what u doing, and depends ur webhost or if u install web on ur same vps.
 
Upvote 0
Back
Top