Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Assembling my computer

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So, I've got most of it done, I think... Here is what it looks like:

Shawn - Assembling my computer - RaGEZONE Forums

Now... here are my cords from my PSU:

Here is my hard drive and my DVD player, the backings:

I was talking with Rice, and he said I'd need adapters for my HD/DVD. If you look at my PSU cords, I have plugs that match them on there. Do I still need adapters? Also, does a 500w PSU have longer cords because my 450w seems to be too short to reach the motherboard when I have it in it's designated location in the chasis. If so, the PSU is no issue. I can pick it up for $10 after I return my 450w. Another thing I seem to be having issues figuring out is this:

The 2 on the right go to the fan in the chasis. The two on the left come from the top, where the Power/Reset button is, but... I don't believe they go to that. I think they go to either the 4 USB slots on the front, or the Headset/Mic slots on the front. Either way... where the hell do they plug into?!?! Also, if anyone can point out where the Power SW, Reset SW and HD LED plugs go into the motherboard, I'd greatly appreciate it. Here's a picture of where I currently have them plugged in:

Red = Power SW
Light Blue = HD LED
White = Reset SW

The solid half of each block is the positive and the unsolid is the negative. Did I do that part correct? Anyways, thanks to all who help.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You can get extensions for your PSU.

If you have the plugs for your hard drive then you don't need converters. IIRC Rice has an old PSU and thus it doesn't have those sata plugs.

Just plug it all in. Looks like fans to me or just some lights.

Power Reset and HDD LED plug location can be found in your motherboard manual. Same goes for front panel audio plug and USB headers.

Reaction score
1. Length of the cables depends on the specific PSU, usually lower wattage PSU's will have shorter cables because they are primarily used in small-mid sized cases.

2. If you have SATA power cables coming form your PSU, then you do not need any adapters.

3. Those are all Molex connectors which just plug into your PSU, you can even daisy-chain them ontop of eachother if you want. Most definitely not for USB or audio, what case do you have? The only thing i can think of would be for fans, but that's what the 2 on the right are for. Or they could be for power if you have a HDD dock on the top of your case (some of them do).

4. The motherboard manual should have a diagram telling you exactly where to plug them in. Just try em, if it doesn't work then try switching them around.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1. Length of the cables depends on the specific PSU, usually lower wattage PSU's will have shorter cables because they are primarily used in small-mid sized cases.

2. If you have SATA power cables coming form your PSU, then you do not need any adapters.

3. Those are all Molex connectors which just plug into your PSU, you can even daisy-chain them ontop of eachother if you want. Most definitely not for USB or audio, what case do you have? The only thing i can think of would be for fans, but that's what the 2 on the right are for. Or they could be for power if you have a HDD dock on the top of your case (some of them do).

4. The motherboard manual should have a diagram telling you exactly where to plug them in. Just try em, if it doesn't work then try switching them around.

I tried "daisy-chaining" them together, but to no avail. When I click the power button, the damn machine won't turn on... which leads me to believe the Power/Reset SW and HD LED are in the wrong place.

I didn't see anything about where to plug them in, when I read the manual which is why I'm hella confused. Then again, I don't know the proper terminology for this kinda thing.

Oh, and this is the tower I have.

Last edited:
WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
page 25 bottom of the page. Have you found the power/ reset switch headers?

Reaction score
Page 25 + 26 of the manual shows you the configuration for the power buttons ect. Mae sure you have that correct.

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Rofl always 3 minutes ahead of me, Yak >_>

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Here, let me take a pic of the three parts. Sec, I'll edit this post with the pic.

Edited:

Left to right:

Reset SW, HDD LED ((-), (+)), Power SW

I don't see a ground anywhere. Nor do I see a Power LED.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
White is ground IIRC. If your case doesn't have a power LED then it doesn't need one.

@Rish Aye :p pretty free today, thought I'd hang around

Reaction score
I plug in my power and reset buttons, that's it. I have no need for power or HDD LED's, they really are for aesthetics only.

I think you have been plugging it into the wrong spot - Page 11 of the manual shows it as being #16. It's called the "system panel header".

Last edited:
bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I plug in my power and reset buttons, that's it. I have no need for power or HDD LED's, they really are for aesthetics only.

I think you have been plugging it into the wrong spot - Page 11 of the manual shows it as being #16. It's called the "system panel header".

Yea... stupid me was plugging it into the total wrong part. I got it up and running now :) Thanks a lot guys! Now to get a DVD so I can get a 64 bit OS to fully utilize all of my Ram :p

Reaction score
Install it from a flash drive, it's so much faster.

This is a link to a legal and legitimate copy of Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

If you want to use any other version, download and extract this -

Run it as Administrator and use it on the .ISO you just downloaded before. It will patch the .ISO and allow you to install ALL versions of Windows 7, provided you have a serial key for it.

Then use the Microsoft USB Tool to "burn" it to a bootable flash drive.

Last edited:
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Install it from a flash drive, it's so much faster.

This is a link to a legal and legitimate copy of Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

If you want to use any other version, download and extract this -

Run it as Administrator and use it on the .ISO you just downloaded before. It will patch the .ISO and allow you to install ALL versions of Windows 7, provided you have a serial key for it.

Then use the Microsoft USB Tool to "burn" it to a bootable flash drive.

Might as well just download the right copy from the get go.

7 Ultimate x64

SHA1: 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7

7 Professional x64

SHA1: 50127304441A793EE51B3F501289F6599A559E9F

If your running Windows XP on the machine making the USB drive you will need the API for the tool above here's a link.

I like using micro atx boards in full size towers myself. It just makes everything so roomy and lots of room for airflow. Altho it looks like you could use some cable management, but looking good so far. You should fill us in on the full specs. It would make the thread that much more interesting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Might as well just download the right copy from the get go.

7 Ultimate x64

SHA1: 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7

7 Professional x64

SHA1: 50127304441A793EE51B3F501289F6599A559E9F

If your running Windows XP on the machine making the USB drive you will need the API for the tool above here's a link.

I like using micro atx boards in full size towers myself. It just makes everything so roomy and lots of room for airflow. Altho it looks like you could use some cable management, but looking good so far. You should fill us in on the full specs. It would make the thread that much more interesting.

I guess it depends on what you regard to be the "right copy".

The only things which Home premium lack are:
- XP Mode
- Domain Join
- Network Backups
- Bitlocker
- A fuckload of languages

So if people (such as myself) have absolutely no use for any of those things, Home Premium x64 is all they need.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well I appreciate all the help but it seems useless now. The fuckin computer is already dead. I had it up and running perfectly fine for a few hours when it suddenly shut off and won't turn back on. I'm thinking the psu wasn't strong enough because it makes a tiny whirrin sound for like half a second when I try to turn the comp on. I'm gettin my money back tomorrow and pickin up a 500 so hopefully that's good enough. We'll see.

Reaction score
Well I appreciate all the help but it seems useless now. The fuckin computer is already dead. I had it up and running perfectly fine for a few hours when it suddenly shut off and won't turn back on. I'm thinking the psu wasn't strong enough because it makes a tiny whirrin sound for like half a second when I try to turn the comp on. I'm gettin my money back tomorrow and pickin up a 500 so hopefully that's good enough. We'll see.

What GPU do you have?

Reaction score
Well it definitely has enough power, the 5670 only requires a 350W PSU (400W recommended).

Try unplugging all unessential components like case fans and DVD drive ect. If it still doesn't power on then there's a problem somewhere. Also, have you plugged in the external power rail for your GPU (if it has one)?

Last edited:
bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It doesn't have one that I saw. I can try what you said but I don't understand why the psu makes that sound when I try turning it on.

Well I tried what you said and its doing the same thing. The psu fan turns about 1/4 of a centimeter, makes a whirrin sound for a split second, then stops.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sounds like something's causing it to shut down. If the PSU was blown then it wouldn't turn on at all.

Make sure that all cables are plugged in all the way (specifically all the PSU cables plugging into the Motherboard).

Back