Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Assembling my computer

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Can't be a faulty psu since I just replaced it today with a brand new stronger one. Leds are not on. The mouse scroll middle button is lit and the ethernet lights are lit. Other than that, everthing turns on for a split second then nothing. I kinda find it hard to believe two psu's in a row would be faulty.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
you could try testing each and every part in a different motherboard. if you have another AM3 or AM2+ board available. i don't think we can rule out a faulty board just yet. you say your ethernet lights are on. is the cable plugged in? i dont think they should be on unless the computer is on and a cable is connected. that to me screams a fault but i may be mistaken

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yes if I have my mouse and ethernet cord plugged in, the lights remain lit, meaning power is going to them. They're a constant, even if the comp is off. That's how it should be. Its just everything else.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
fans moving for a split second but nothing happens. That's what happens when a PCI / PCI-E device (like graphic card, network card, sound card) are either improperly plugged in, or in the wrong slot (e.g. PCI-E 1x device inside a PCI slot). Make sure your PCI/PCIE devices are correctly plugged in, it's the only thing I know that causes this.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hmm... I gonna think about it how its work.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lol since everyone is having a bit of a problem understanding what I'm talkin about, ill see if this phone allows me to upload vids to youtube to show u guys what's goin on.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Sorry for dp... No I can't upload vids on this cell :(

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Look 8 posts up. Already tried that. Anyways, its annoyin me so much that I'm goin today and payin $45 to get it repaired -_- so I guess there's nothing left to be said.

Reaction score
Your motherboard might be touching the back panel of the case, which can cause the electricity to not flow properly.
This happened to me, check it.

Well that should only happen if you didn't use the motherboard mounting screws.

Before you start returning parts as defective, I would personally take the PC apart COMPLETELY and re-build it with only the most basic things connected:
- PSU
- Motherboard
- CPU + Fan
- 1 stick of RAM in slot #1
- Power Button
- Keyboard

I cannot stress that those are literally the ONLY things that should be plugged in. No HDD, no chassis USB/Audio ports, no graphics card, no case fans, nothing.

One thing i have thought of... Are you sure you plugged in the CPU fan into the correct slot on the motherboard? The mobo has a specific port for the CPU Fan, if it detects that there is no fan plugged in there then usually the PC will not boot if "Halt on error" is enabled in the BIOS.

Last edited:
bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Fairly sure I did everything you said. It doesn't matter anymore though because I dropped the computer off at the comp shop today and their going to reassemble it, as well as test it. If there's any issues, they're going to replace the parts free of charge, provided I didn't "damage them"... which I don't see how I could have.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

So I'm severely Ducking pissed right now. The comp shop just called... the motherboard and the CPU are both fried... They don't know if the ram cards are fried because they have nothing to test it with since it's DDR3. So now, if I want my comp back... I gotta pay an additional $130... wtf is this poop?!?! Anyways, Mod of this section, please close this thread. This is shenanigans -_-

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Now that is a major bummer, Shawn! They wont let you get the PC back unless you pay them cash for it? Did they arleady fix the bad CPU and all that?

Wonder how that happened - msot new Motherboards nowadays have so many fallbacks on the electric systems that it is nearly impossible to fry anything but the motherboard itself. I sort of doubt the PC shop has it right on there diagnosis..

Major bummer man, really - I hope the situation is figured out sometime =( Computers are very easy to set up.. literally every port and plug is labeled on what fits, and the shape of the plugs are nearly impossible to get backwards (The Power LED's, Reset Switch, and all that are teh only exception to this)

Are you able to return anything for a defect and money return/replacement product?

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
No because they say it's my fault. I followed the instructions to the T on how to mount the motherboard, and no where in the book did it say to use the fasteners on the bottom. They said that's what caused it to fry and that it's my fault... really? If your Ducking books said to do it, I would have done it -_-

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
No because they say it's my fault. I followed the instructions to the T on how to mount the motherboard, and no where in the book did it say to use the fasteners on the bottom. They said that's what caused it to fry and that it's my fault... really? If your Ducking books said to do it, I would have done it -_-

Could've also shorted some parts if you didn't ground yourself.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ohh, the motherboard standoffs! Those are critical to not shorting out the motherboard, always have to have them between the motherboard tray and the motherboard.. or else it will short a bunch of components from contact with the sheet metal they use on the tray! :-(

In the instructions on the case it says to put those down before you do the motherboard.. it should have came with a 2 or 3 page instructions booklet in the box that the case came in

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ohh, the motherboard standoffs! Those are critical to not shorting out the motherboard, always have to have them between the motherboard tray and the motherboard.. or else it will short a bunch of components from contact with the sheet metal they use on the tray! :-(

In the instructions on the case it says to put those down before you do the motherboard.. it should have came with a 2 or 3 page instructions booklet in the box that the case came in

No booklet with the case. The only booklet was the one that came with the motherboard, and nowhere in that book does it say to use standoffs or w/e they're called.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No booklet with the case. The only booklet was the one that came with the motherboard, and nowhere in that book does it say to use standoffs or w/e they're called.

The case might of came with them already inserted, or in a plastic bag. They are gold'ish looking little screws that screw into the motherboard tray. These keep the motherboard from coming in contact with the case itself (shorting it out). Or your case has a risen tray where each screw hole is popped out to act as a standoff.

Reaction score
Well that should only happen if you didn't use the motherboard mounting screws.

Before you start returning parts as defective, I would personally take the PC apart COMPLETELY and re-build it with only the most basic things connected:
- PSU
- Motherboard
- CPU + Fan
- 1 stick of RAM in slot #1
- Power Button
- Keyboard

I cannot stress that those are literally the ONLY things that should be plugged in. No HDD, no chassis USB/Audio ports, no graphics card, no case fans, nothing.

One thing i have thought of... Are you sure you plugged in the CPU fan into the correct slot on the motherboard? The mobo has a specific port for the CPU Fan, if it detects that there is no fan plugged in there then usually the PC will not boot if "Halt on error" is enabled in the BIOS.

Fairly sure I did everything you said. It doesn't matter anymore though because I dropped the computer off at the comp shop today and their going to reassemble it, as well as test it. If there's any issues, they're going to replace the parts free of charge, provided I didn't "damage them"... which I don't see how I could have.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

So I'm severely Ducking pissed right now. The comp shop just called... the motherboard and the CPU are both fried... They don't know if the ram cards are fried because they have nothing to test it with since it's DDR3. So now, if I want my comp back... I gotta pay an additional $130... wtf is this poop?!?! Anyways, Mod of this section, please close this thread. This is shenanigans -_-

Yea, that really sucks :/

These are the screws - They would have been in a small bag which most probably came with your case (the golden hexagonal screws).

Sending it in for repairs was probably the worst thing you could have done, most places will charge you extra & void the warranty when they find that it was caused by user-error. Apart from physical damage like snapping the mobo in half, everything is covered by their warranty.

Best thing would have been to discover the problem yourself, then simply returning the defective parts to the store. They can test and see for themselves that it is fried, but they would never have known what caused it. Same thing goes for the CPU.

Now you didn't send it in to be repaired from the same place you bought the parts, did you? If not, just tell them you don't want it fixed, then just take it apart and return the motherboard and CPU to the store. Since it's only been a few days, you need to return it to the store rather than RMA'ing it.

Last edited:
Back