Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Assembling my computer

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It. Wouldn't mean something got fried right? Just trying to eliminate what it could be. Either way I should get the 500 because if it is the wires being loose (I checked though and they weren't) its because the wires are too short so the gravity is pulling the psu away from the motherboard.

return null;
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Oh btw, you might want to look for a modular psu. It saves some unnecessary cables and it looks more clear.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you regard to be the "right copy".

The only things which Home premium lack are:
- XP Mode
- Domain Join
- Network Backups
- Bitlocker
- A fuckload of languages

So if people (such as myself) have absolutely no use for any of those things, Home Premium x64 is all they need.

Well I think we both know that the OS will most likely be "cough cough". So why not just get the best of the best of them if your paying nothing for it.

It doesn't have one that I saw. I can try what you said but I don't understand why the psu makes that sound when I try turning it on.

Well I tried what you said and its doing the same thing. The psu fan turns about 1/4 of a centimeter, makes a whirrin sound for a split second, then stops.

Are you getting any beep codes?

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
No beep codes. I got the 500w today. Its a cooler master extreme power plus (stupid name I know). Same thing happens. I try to turn it on, the psu makes a faint whiring sound, the hd led turns on for a split second, and then everything just stops. It can't be the psu because the scroll button in the middle of the mouse and the ethernet lights remain on the entire time, so power is still going in. I have everything hooked up right and I double checked to see if anything was loose but its not. Any ideas?

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Reset your cmos, and try it again? I've had this problem before.. but honestly, I did so many things to try fixing it that I cant remember what it initially was. Typically its because you have 4 sticks of ram in, and have to pull 2 of them out so you can send some more voltage to them to make it boot properly.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Reset my cmos? What's that?

Reaction score
Reset my cmos? What's that?

The CMOS is basically the microprocessor within which your BIOS is housed. The round flat battery on your motherboard provides a constant flow of electricity to the CMOS to keep your BIOS settings running.

Search your manual for any CMOS reset button or jumper. It will pretty much just reset your BIOS back to factory settings.

Also try taking out some of your RAM sticks. Just leave 1 in and see if it will boot.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ohh gosh, Thanks Rish! Totally forgot to explain myself, was curt on it because i was posting in anotehr thread at the same time and quickyl hit post on this to finish up the other one.. My Bad!

Yep, check your manual.. typically there is either a button you press, or you just remove the little watch size battery that is clipped onto the board, then start the computer up, then put the battery back in when it starts.

That will wipe the CMOS, settings it back to default, and remove any settings that may be causing power issues with what you are having.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Nope, just did it and nothing. Took a ram card out, nothing. Took the other ram out and put first one back in, nothing. Tried a benchtest to see if it was a short from the motherboard to case by taking motherboard out and puttin it on cardboard... Still nothing. I'm starting to think something is fried but I can't understand how if 1) I didn't have a power surge and 2) all of these pieces are brand new. Defective maybe?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
try re-seating your CPU. if you have a spare CPU lying around and the motherboard is compatible with it. try and use a different one and see what happens.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Tried that as well. Nothing

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
have you tried disconnecting the hard drive and the DVD drive and the graphics card and all the fans except the Heatsink fan and seeing if it will turn on?

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yupp still nothing

The thing I don't get though is, if I plug in my mouse as well as doing the last thing you said, the mouse light is lite, so I know there's power going to the motherboard. This tells me that it can't be the motherboard or am I wrong? Does it mean it has to be the processor? I have a AMD athlon II x2 260 processor. 3.2 ghz dual core 2.0 mb total cache socket AM3 w/ heat sink fan.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
well in my understanding it could be three things. Burnt CPU Dodgy ram sticks or a dead hard drive last would be the actual mobo. tried replacing your RAM sticks? as in a completely different pair

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
That's the thing. If it was the ram or hd, it would start up when I remove all connections to them, according to your last post. It doesn't which makes me believe it has to do with the cpu since there is still power going through the motherboard.

I'm curious though as to what would make it burn out. I didn't have a power outage or a surge. It just... Died. Would that be classified as defective?

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
that was just my understanding of it, but im pretty sure its the CPU.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

yeah if its still under warranty i'd replace it.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Gahhhh I guess it is the cpu then. I just hope its classified as defective so I get it replaced for free.

WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Did you plug in everything correctly? PSU to mobo has two connections. A 4pin and a 24pin one.

Try shorting the 24 pin and see if the PSU spins up.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ok I just kinda did what you said. I unplugged the 4 square and replugged in the 24 and the cpu fan spun for half a second then stopped. Tried the 4 square only, no response. Tried the 24 with the 4, no response. Tried the 24 without the 4 at the end, makin it a 20 and the cpu fan spun for half a second then stopped. Any idea what it means?

x42

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
w8 so..
o.o

1. All system LEDs ARE on.
2. All fans in your system spin for split second then stop.
Right?

Faulty PSU, I get this all the time.

Back