Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide] How to install ANY server repack with the Personal Priston Tale installer

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: How to install ANY server repack with the Personal Priston Tale installer

Thank You So Much for the Link. :p:

but theres a problem in your Client Install, after i Download 5 times it in mediafire the GameClient.sfx.part4 still corrupt.
bobsobol - [Guide] How to install ANY server repack with the Personal Priston Tale installer - RaGEZONE Forums

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

That is unfortunate. I hate having to split files for internet communications.

When required, (Email, NNTP etc) I like to use a redundant raid array system known as Parkive. The current release is PAR2, and the best Windows implementation is a program called .

I've made a new split volume, which is close enough for a PAR2 repair set, as I don't fancy re-uploading to MediaFires slow lame servers (I have friends who swear by it and hate MegaUpload, which rocks for me, hence the two sources).

Here is a to a Zip containing the repair set.

Install QuickPar, and they should have the appropriate file icon (a stack of discs with a chipped and broken one.) Place them in a folder with the 6 rar files, and double click any of the Par2 files... QuickPar will fix the split archive for you.

I'll look at re-hosting on some extra sites, for those who hate MegaUpload, as I hate split archives. :wink:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Hi, My name is Mike and I was woundering out of the kindness of your heart, if you could help me do this. I've spent atleast 7 hours trying to figre this out. The database was easy the SQL was easy. I just cant figure out to connect to my server. My MSN is bashbro900@hotmail.com I have a microphone so we can talk it through at make this conversation a bit easier. But please help me with this, I really want to make a private server of PristonTale.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Hi, My name is Mike and I was woundering out of the kindness of your heart, if you could help me do this. I've spent atleast 7 hours trying to figre this out. The database was easy the SQL was easy. I just cant figure out to connect to my server.

This post is misplaced, I think. Connection issues are dealt with separately.

I would suggest following my guide Why Doesn't my Client Connect to my Server and if problems persist, post a "help" request in the main forum, listing exactly which client and server executables you are using, any firewall software you use and whether you are connecting one machine to it's self, two machines across a LAN, or two machines across the internet.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

I dont have a client though or i think i dont i get lost on the step of 4096 files.

---------- Post added at 05:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

I dont understand this part

"---Edit--- {Thanks to tnrh1 for spotting this glaring mistake}
Some server sets include field and char folders, others do not. In any case, you would be safer off copying these from your client, as they relate to the maps you client knows about, and every so often they do change a little bit.

Copy the "char" and "field" folders from your game client, and place them in the "GameServer" folder, where the "server4096.exe" files is.
---Edit---"
I cant find the server4096.exe files.

---------- Post added at 06:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 AM ----------

Whenever i click on the game.exe window opens to triglow pictures, then it shuts off immiediatly and the game goes bye bye.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

I dont have a client though or i think i dont i get lost on the step of 4096 files.
I don't know what this means.
I dont understand this part

"---Edit--- {Thanks to tnrh1 for spotting this glaring mistake}
Some server sets include field and char folders, others do not. In any case, you would be safer off copying these from your client, as they relate to the maps you client knows about, and every so often they do change a little bit.

Copy the "char" and "field" folders from your game client, and place them in the "GameServer" folder, where the "server4096.exe" files is.
---Edit---"
I cant find the server4096.exe files.
There are 2 or three copies of "server4096.exe" that come with PPT, and they are initially terminated with a letter denoting the default language... That letter is removed during installation of PPT, but my instructions for installing other repacks points out that you should RENAME whatever server executable you want to use from the repack to "server4096.exe". What the repack has renamed the server exe(s) to, depends on the repack. There are often a choice of executables with different features in many repacks anyway, so clearly, they can't all be called server4096.
Whenever i click on the game.exe window opens to triglow pictures, then it shuts off immiediatly and the game goes bye bye.
That is usually the game.exe trying, and failing to load XTrap. The PPT client has had XTrap removed, and the supporting files along with the XTrap loading code... if you are using an unmodified official client without the XTrap libraries, this will happen. Some developer release clients still have the XTrap loading code in them too, because some developers like to keep XTrap and modify it to work from their servers instead of the official ones.

The QF1873 client comes in XTrap and NoXTrap variants.

It may also be looking for data resources in a different format, or location (or just name).

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hullow. :): Well, this is my guide to do it the super-easy way... but you need my release to do it, because I gave a CD/DVD installation system away with it.

My guide is the most different from the others, because most of the grunt work is performed for you by my installation scripts.

Because my "Personal Priston Tale" release provides the oldest, most stable server with the least features where very little is actually usable (but you can play) this guide tells you how to take my nice easy installer and use it with another (more complete) server release.

This guide is the most recent, and many of the older guides became corrupt when RZ switched hosts and updated it's database to support international characters. They now have sections missing. I have tried to post Zipped backups I kept for them later on in the threads, and some of their authors have gone to the effort of finding a way to re-write the original posts to allow for the forum changes. Not all the authors still have the time or inclination to attend RZ any more however.

Your post "need guid complete for crate server priston tale" (excusing the splink miss-taks XD) begs the question... "What is it about this that is not a complete guide to create a Priston Tale server? ^^

I welcome requests for more information, and am happy to update the guide to better suit the target audience... of which you seem to be, leandroamd1. :):

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Do I move the Server_619 files into the PTserver folder or the folder called gameserver.

Ive been wanting to make a pristontale server for quite sometime now but it's just so much more confusing then rest of the private servers... Please help me bob. Private teachings...Pleasee I just want to be done of being confused lol

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
PT is *very* confusing, and for no *good* reason. This is why I stick with it... not because I particularly like it but because I can help cut through the confusion here better than anywhere else. Nothing else relies so heavily on data in files rather than in the database, and nothing else needs you to change the executable in a hex editor or debugger just to add an item or monster. XD

When you get into the database, I am weak, but the files and executable are my strong points, so here I lurk.

Answer:
The directory structure I lay out for the CD has an issue of confusion, because I wasn't initially intending for people to use other releases with it... but the bugs and lack of features in my client mean that it is probably better if you do.

The confusion is, the folder "GameServer" contains a folder "GameServer". Now, I initially intended that you could keep "GameClient" and "GameServer" on the same disc, and with a DVD you can... I'm still working on bumming the files down in the client, which is silly heavy on resources.

Extract the Zip or Rar of Server_619, and you can see that it's directory layout is pretty much the same as that which is found in the "GameServer" folder from the root of the PPT CD. (not like the one in \GameServer\GameServer")

So this is where those files should go.

Most importantly, if you find the Server Executable files, they should always be in \GameServer on the CD.

If I update my release, I will surely rename that to "\ServerInstall" or something and make the relevant changes elsewhere, but for now I hope this explanation clears up some of your confusion.

the sound's resound echo
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Bobsobol, I have a working server now and working client
But how to become admin?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
  1. Add *DEBUG_ID followed by your user name to hotuk.ini.
  2. Add Admin line, and pass-phrase terminated "/0" to your client hotuk.ini. If you are using a Korean client then it's probably still "(왕초보가이드) 포장단체주문환영 /0"
  3. Log in as normal, and then PM the server (named by the *ADMIN_NAME command in server hotuk.ini) with one of the *ADMIN_COMMAND defined pass-phrases to allow that level of admin command to be accepted.

Level 3 is the highest, level 1 is kinda pointless as you can use those without PMing the server.

You can't request a higher level after you have "authenticated" with a lower level. You have to log out, and then log back in to the game for that.

Last edited:
the sound's resound echo
Loyal Member
Reaction score
<b>EDIT:</b>
Everything goes good, and game.exe will start
But when I place the hotuk.ini inside the client, the game.exe crashes

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Code:
*DEBUG_ID "aagibcheat"
Login to aagibcheat, playing any character.
PM admiin with the pass-phrase 3romeo3
Code:
/:admiin 3romeo3
My account ID = admin
My character name = admiin
Do I have to edit something in it?
And if it is good, WHAT do I exactly PM to the server to get admin rights?
You can't have a character called "admiin" because that is the "character" your server is "playing", and it is that "character" you have to send a "PM" / "Whisper" to in order to authenticate.

The server will not stop you playing a character with the same name that it is playing it's admin authenticator character on... but it won't stop you from doing so either and the PM / Whisper will go directly to you. You won't be able to authenticate.

You should use your database to create a character with the name you defined on *ADMIN_NAME so that players don't do this. The risk is that if they do so (by luck, or inside information) then when I real GM attempts to authenticate, they (the GM) may be telling the player the authentication pass-phrase, rather than the server. XD

Last edited:
the sound's resound echo
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Thanks for helping, but one more question; i had to place a hotuk.in i in my client with those chinese stuff, but then my game.ex e crashes.
I am using the game.ex e of pinoypt released here at ragezone. Maybe i need a different hotuk.in i for my client? Thanks for helping man

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
PinoyPT is Chinese (I think), but I've only mentioned Korean. (clearly very different)

It's very important that your hotuk.ini is an 8-bit ANSI text file created in CP949 EUC-Korean, and not created on a Western European (or other non-Korean) local system, unless it has been created with an editor which is capable of ignoring the system default ANSI codepage, and you have selected to create a CP949 codepage ANSI text file.

PT cannot read Notepad (for example, but Word or Wordpad and so on apply too) "Korean Text" files, which are UTF16LE not ANSI.

Attempting to read a correct Hotuk.ini on a non-Korean PC interprets the line "(왕초보가이드) 포장단체주문환영 /0" as something like "(¿ÕÃʺ¸°¡À̵å) Æ÷Àå´ÜüÁÖ¹®È¯¿µ /0" or "(żŐĂĘş¸°ˇŔ̵ĺ) Ć÷Ŕĺ´ÜĂĽÁÖą®ČŻżµ /0" or "(їХГКєё°ЎАМµе) ЖчАеґЬГјБЦ№®ИЇїµ /0" just as a few examples from around various European setups. Without knowing the default "codepage" of your system I can't post a line that you could use in Notepad, but my recommendation is (and has always been) that you use a text editor that will read, write and display files in CP949 EUC-Korean either by default or (more likely) by your request.

Alternatively, you could treat the file as Binary, and create it using your hex editor and enter the line as "28 BF D5 C3 CA BA B8 B0 A1 C0 CC B5 E5 29 20 C6 F7 C0 E5 B4 DC C3 BC C1 D6 B9 AE C8 AF BF B5 20 2F 30 0D 0A"

Copy and paste of text will likely lead to a fail, but the hex is the same where-ever you are in the world.

I have a guide on reading and writing PTs Korean Text configuration files on non-Korean systems. (use the search... may the Force be with you. :wink:)

Last edited:
the sound's resound echo
Loyal Member
Reaction score
PinoyPT is Chinese (I think), but I've only mentioned Korean. (clearly very different)

It's very important that your hotuk.ini is an 8-bit ANSI text file created in CP949 EUC-Korean, and not created on a Western European (or other non-Korean) local system, unless it has been created with an editor which is capable of ignoring the system default ANSI codepage, and you have selected to create a CP949 codepage ANSI text file.

PT cannot read Notepad (for example, but Word or Wordpad and so on apply too) "Korean Text" files, which are UTF16LE not ANSI.

Attempting to read a correct Hotuk.ini on a non-Korean PC interprets the line "(왕초보가이드) 포장단체주문환영 /0" as something like "(¿ÕÃʺ¸°¡À̵å) Æ÷Àå´ÜüÁÖ¹®È¯¿µ /0" or "(żŐĂĘş¸°ˇŔ̵ĺ) Ć÷Ŕĺ´ÜĂĽÁÖą®ČŻżµ /0" or "(їХГКєё°ЎАМµе) ЖчАеґЬГјБЦ№®ИЇїµ /0" just as a few examples from around various European setups. Without knowing the default "codepage" of your system I can't post a line that you could use in Notepad, but my recommendation is (and has always been) that you use a text editor that will read, write and display files in CP949 EUC-Korean either by default or (more likely) by your request.

Alternatively, you could treat the file as Binary, and create it using your hex editor and enter the line as "28 BF D5 C3 CA BA B8 B0 A1 C0 CC B5 E5 29 20 C6 F7 C0 E5 B4 DC C3 BC C1 D6 B9 AE C8 AF BF B5 20 2F 30 0D 0A"

Copy and paste of text will likely lead to a fail, but the hex is the same where-ever you are in the world.

I have a guide on reading and writing PTs Korean Text configuration files on non-Korean systems. (use the search... may the Force be with you. :wink:)

Btw I live in The Netherlands
I try'd to save it with Notepad but then in a UTF-8 codec
Now the game.exe doesnt crash (im not sure if the client is reading the hotuk.ini tho) but when I try to PM, it just tells me that the character "beest" is not online. (Yea, beest is the name I filled in at *ADMIN_NAME) So I guess it is not working :/

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Couple of quick questions here please...
" First we want to make sure the installer can update our servers hotuk.ini... I hope you have a good one in there."
1: How we know if in fact have a "good one in there" ?

"Right, that was easy. Now we copy over any and all updates replacing files as we go... after all, these are supposed to fix bugs, so we hope they don't introduce any."
2: What updates have you implemented and would you please share these updates and fixes?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Couple of quick questions here please...
" First we want to make sure the installer can update our servers hotuk.ini... I hope you have a good one in there."
1: How we know if in fact have a "good one in there" ?

"Right, that was easy. Now we copy over any and all updates replacing files as we go... after all, these are supposed to fix bugs, so we hope they don't introduce any."
2: What updates have you implemented and would you please share these updates and fixes?
The thread title is "How to install ANY server repack with the Personal Priston Tale installer", both of the lines you picked out are related to the "ANY server repack" part of that title, as opposed to the "Personal Priston Tale installer" part of it.

Many repacks have, or have had updates to them posted here, either further down the thread or on a new thread (especially if the updates are not by the original releaser).

The hotuk.ini you use can either come with the Repack you are implementing with the installer, or you can take one from these forums. There are several threads devoted to understanding various aspects of the server hotuk.ini, and several very good examples in the RFT thread. However, you should be aware that that thread pre-dates, and for the most part has been replaced by, the Releases, and Tutorials sub-forums.

The jPT server we use was leaked (probably as a client someone figured out how to make work as a server) and so we have no documentation in any language for any of the configurations or any of the features. Hotuk.ini is particularly "open" in it's interpretation of the configuration lines... as compared to an XML file or a Windows .INI file... it's much more like a *nix .RC file. Without documentation or source most Unix-heads would say "it's pointless trying to use this" but that's what we do.

There are only 2 methods of understanding the file.
  • Put commands and parameters in and see what changes.
  • Trace the code which reads it, and see what it looks for, and what it does when it finds something that it thinks looks right.
Some of the comments in the old RFT hotuk.ini examples are not accurate, they seemed to work but later analysis has proven that, either the command only works that way under certain circumstances, or it is actually more powerful than that and can produce more varied and useful results than those examples suggest.

It's also worth mentioning that it's not only possible to change what the server reads from Hotuk.ini, and what it does with what it reads... but it's considerably easier to do that than many of the other changes we regularly make to our servers. I've not noticed any major changes in any of the releases here on RZ, but I've made servers myself, and seen other developers customising the server hotuk.ini to the point where it wouldn't accept any command listed anywhere on RZ, and no command that it will accept would work on any other server... In fact, the one I made didn't even read from a file called "hotuk.ini". The point of that on a private server, is that if someone hacks into your server and steals your files, they are going to have to start learning again from scratch, because everything they think they know about PT servers doesn't apply to yours. :wink: (Sadly, file theft from Private Servers is rife in the PT community)

Some people seem to think that because we are developing a server that was never officially released as such, is undocumented and has no official support, it's okay to steal from each other.

As I say, I suspect that the base of our "server" is actually an early test client. Since all the clients have some code in them to support "*MODE SERVER" in their hotuk.ini... the current ones only support it in it's Korean form, and then only to the extent that if it's set they exit immediately, but if you look at a recent thread where we have been attempting to resurrect a v1.66b EPT client, you can see that it will run most server functions perfectly well, and may also note that on an x86 XP based system, most of the server releases here will operate as a reasonable Game.exe. XD I suspect that an early jPT test client performed so much of the "*MODE SERVER" operation, that it wasn't difficult for someone to figure out what files needed to be in place and what they should contain for it to act as a fully functioning PT Server. If that is the case, the "leak" was official and completely legitimate, all-be-it unintentional. Nobody hacked into the official servers and "stole" their files, we just used our heads and figured out how to make the client they give away for free act as a server, rather than writing a server emulator from scratch.

There have been two attempts at writing a "server emulator" for PT, one in VB6, and one in C++. The VB6 version was reasonably successful (similar in % complete to WoWEmu before commercialisation killed that and the open MaNGOS development started) and the attempt to convert it to C++ was going quite well when the "official" jPT server release was posted. That killed all development on the other two. Everything since then has been based on the jPT 4096 server. That's is why I feel comfortable saying "ANY server repack".

In actual fact, anything based on the VB6 or VC++ code can't be installed with my installer, and doesn't use a hotuk.ini or MS-SQL.

Vormav has also produced a modification which works (more or less) with MySQL which would be problematic to implement, but it wasn't around when I started this thread.

lelejeau is also heading an attempt to write a new server emu, and I believe (s)he would prefer to write it in C#, but is struggling with the "login server" encryption.

Last edited:
Back