Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Release] Star Wars Galaxies Official Source Code (Client/Server)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
The datatables and tpf files among others require extremely specific line spacing and tab characters in EXACT locations.
But no one listens to me, so I don't expect they'll listen yet again.

I'm listening friend. :(

I've done nothing but listen to your advice, and I haven't given up hope. Still trying to figure it out. I've never used OracleDB before so I can't even setup all the dependencies properly. It's probably best that I step back until I fully understand everything first. I think I'm digging too far without comprehension. I think what I'll do is start again.

PS., I appreciate your little nudges, and advice. At least know one person cares :p

I love SWG, and I'm dying to experience NGE. I never took the chance over a stupid reason. I regret not sticking through to continue to play, because then perhaps I wouldn't be so compelled to get this to work.

~~I haven't removed any code, copyright, commented or vice versa. That was never my intention. Though I realize that was directed more to the people who did do that; this still remains to be SOE's code.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I've done nothing but listen to your advice, and I haven't given up hope. Still trying to figure it out. I've never used OracleDB before so I can't even setup all the dependencies properly. It's probably best that I step back until I fully understand everything first. I think I'm digging too far without comprehension. I think what I'll do is start again.
Here's a video that could help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I'm not sure what version you are running but the windows version I am running crafting perfect with Java 6 version 1.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
All of you guys working separate...you should be working together on this with us, anonymously. A few of us anons started a repo here, you're welcome to come but we suggest a vpn, throwaway username and email. Please share any progress you make with the repo via pull request.

If the code gets taken down from bitbucket, we have it mirrored at the locations below.

This post is also on pastebin so that we can not be stopped:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Don't know who you are and who you think we are but there are many more than 4 of us, we are many. Config file settings can be found from looking at header and cpp files and original leaking files.

Instead of being mean and not working with other people we have provided a way. We also provide the only linux solution anyone has put up so far. We welcome all help.

Thanks for telling us we missed files, fixed.

https://bitbucket.org/swgmasters/swg-src

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Those py files are automatically generated. I got the files from ragezone and original leak (one of those links were deleted), but have fixed them in many ways.

Your hardcoded network addresses and hostnames and file paths are not very friendly.

We use sane defaults of localhost and set the rest in the configs, which work fully.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Our config files are from swgreveniens, which also leaked on reddit long ago, you did not write them. The moderators there are not very frienly to source.

The py files we can add to be safe, but still, I'm not really understanding why you're trying to have a penis size contest here. We are linux focused anyway, and a public effort.

If you don't like that others are working on it you'll just have to deal with it. We are here to help as much (more) than you are.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Regardless of what you think, you're free to think it, I'm not here to argue and won't do so. The order in taskmanager is the only order that will work.

The win32 things came from a link that was removed here on RZ. If you wrote that stuff, thanks, if not, whatever.

We know we have issues but we have an issue tracker on the git for just that, you and all are welcome to add issues and put in pull requests.

All instructions for our repo is on the git. They are ever changing and do not require mirroring here as all it would do is make the thread long and hard to read.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Will take a look and merge anything useful you've done including configs, and give credit if we do where due. That's the point of our repo.

Thanks.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking on this thread for a little bit, deciding if I wanted to get involved or not. A little background, I'm one of the people who worked on the original leak and had no idea my work had been distributed until 2 months ago, around the time this thread started. I haven't spoke with any of the other team members since, it's not that I had a problem with things being leaked... but I would have liked to been asked.

My contributions to the project were a bulk of the work getting the server running initially in redhat 7, not a simple task. Just loading into the game required a lot of work and many road blocks were hit, generally with missing data files. The bulk of that work can be found in the "clientdata.tar", many of these files had to be specially created by pulling out chunks from the client data files... by magic it worked. FYI I hate appearance files. Also, DNC has hit on a really crucial point, it was extremely important to get the code building and running as it was when we received it, BEFORE moving on to trying to improve the build and run it in modern environments.

I also created many of the build scripts found in the "utils" directory, most important of them being "mocha". It was extremely disappointing early on to realize how important these scripts were to the functionality of the game, and that the team was missing the important piece: the compiler. Several attempts were made at handling this via simple text manipulations, but it soon became obvious that a true compiler needed to be built. I chose PLY over the C based lex/yacc tools because it was much easier to do rapid prototyping of the solution. I had intended one day, once the logic of the python version was complete, to attempt a C version but never got around to it.

I'll be glad to help dispell any myths about what went on with the work of getting this project building and running. I'm really glad to see that so many other people are able to make use of that work, despite the way it was distributed. I wish there were a better way for everyone to be able to collaborate, it looks like swgmasters may have a good start though.

FYI, swgmasters is right, the lextab.py and yacctab.py are automatically created by PLY and should be added to the gitignore file.

Also, I have no idea who did the rest of the work to get the server running so well on Windows... but you are awesome, wherever you are.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I got windows working in the files both in his repo and the post I made.
My alterations may have caused the code modification necessary for lextab and yacctab (wouldn't surprise me).
Win32 was a total Pita!!! to get sorted out.

I'm not thrilled my work was released either, but since it was, no sense keeping them from my updated work. Thus the post after the repo post made by swgmasters.

Glad to see it wasn't my imagination about PLY. I was pretty sure it was a necessary add-on, but no one would validate it.

If you have any useful / insightful information for these guys/gals it would be appreciated.

Appreciate the effort yourself and the original group put into this. :0)

That's good work, it was frustrating that the server would barf on loading on windows for us. Since the ubuntu version was working well enough it was decided to continue with it and return to the Windows version down the road. As I'm sure you are well aware, working with this beast is daunting and can be soul crushing.

No problem confirming the PLY usage. I haven't looked into the difference to see why those two files would now be needed, but I might take a gander later.

The most useful advice I can give is don't give up... god there were so many times when a brick wall was hit and it seemed like we were missing some vital data file that would prevent the whole thing from working. Refusing to give up is what saved things back then. In the case of the missing appearance data, some debugging showed that the server was looking for "APPR" chunks. A quick grep of dsrc showed that none of these files had these chunks. So I turned to the client files, and it turns out in .lod, .msh, and .cmp files had "APPR" chunks in them. I wrote a quick script to pull just these chunks out (because just using the raw client files would be too easy) and magically this worked. Anyway, that's just an example of not giving up.

The other advice I would give is about oracle:

1) Start with a clean windows os (screw linux installs of oracle, it's really a black art... but if you must USE ORACLE LINUX)
2) Install it with the option to create a database and uncheck "Create as Container database"
3) Remember what the "Global database name" is (and naturally the password)

Other than this, all the default options can be selected when installing oracle on windows. If installing oracle on the same windows installation as the dev environment then importing the database is just a matter of having perl installed and running a single command (copied from Mr. Rogers post a couple pages back):

database_update.pl --username=system --password=yourpassword --service=yourdatabasename --goldusername=system --loginusername=system --createnewcluster --packages

For new people getting on, getting this part of things set up seems to be the hardest part. So, make life simple and use windows.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
As a side note, there's a thread on modthegalaxy with the ssa and apt files required to make appearances work. Otherwise, you have to move some things around when it complains about different tag/header file types. You can grep to find which files it is looking for as the tags are verbatim in the headers.

Sytner's IFF Editor is probably most ideal for extracting client files as it supports toc/tre history, if you download the giant archive that Timbab has amassed, but also supports browsing a whole SWG "repository," that is the files referenced in the toc as well as all those in the classic v5 tre files as well, at the same time, so extraction runs across all of them at once.

Seems that appearances use a ridiculous amount of RAM, though.

@swgthrawn: You're a legend and despite it coming out the wrong way, and from me of all people, I've great respect for you and your skills. Nice to hear from you.

Neither you or DNC would happen to know what is actually required to make those NPC's that are missing spawn, would you? It's for...a friend...and...science :p

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@ilikenwf I will look at the appearance stuff soon, I assume this allows for the createAppearances option to be enabled? If so, that rocks! Heavy memory usage is fine, I have plenty of that to spare... it is my CPU that seems to suffer most when more planets are turned on. PS apologies for the times I never responded to requests for help before, you can imagine the sensitive position I was in before all this stuff leaked. There were also a number of other people making similar inquiries that also never got responses.
DNC I will take a look at client source I used to build what went out in the "nge.7z" that leaked a while back. I'll share that with a pull request on the swgmasters repo, that will probably be the easiest way to share that in a way that everyone can use.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah, it does indeed! My erm...friend...says that even with 48GB allocated to the VM, that's a little steep even with all zones. With 12 CPU cores and all zones without appearance it takes about 75%-95% of his CPU depending on what's going on. Maybe more fun memory leaks there?

No worries, I would have done the same in that situation. I was rabid there for a while and made nothing less than an butt of myself.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Looking at it now, seems that with appearances on, single zone is sitting at 1.9GB, so maybe it just took more while loading. That's just 0.2 GB more than what each zone eats without them.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Getting searchTree and searchTOC working, in conjunction with the compiled stuff and the ssa/apt files and other required to be extracted files would be most ideal in the end...

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
How is god mode used in this current release? Has it been changed since the last one?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
We update the code soon enough, but for now if you have suggestions please split them out into pull requests. Any that the team likes will be merged in - there are already several of us.

Technically everyone is team, but core people are there for testing, QA, and code review.

We invite people to fork us, make changes, and pull request.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back