What languages do you code in?

Recently mostly Coffeescript and some Scala on my free time. Not much more to learn about Coffeescript but Scala I'm only getting really into now and so far haven't used much of its advanced features.

By the way it sounds kind of cute to ask about knowing the syntax :rolleyes:

Well people say they know millions of languages because they can edit a variable and print "Hello World" so I thought I'd be 'cute' ask about the syntax
 
I think you didn't get my tease, it's usually not the syntax that is hard. For example Javascript is ridiculously simple in syntax but can be very hard to use well and it's easy to mess up if you don't understand how the language really works.

Oh right, I forgot I do use Ruby in my current project too. The program code is in Coffeescript but I have to write the browser tests in Ruby which is far from optimal having to mix the two but because Node's tools aren't quite up to par it seemed like the best option out of the ones available.
 
I am currently learning C#, but I code in Java and C# regularly, although I am not as good in C# as I am in Java. I also do some JavaScript, but I haven't done that in a while.
 
Although HTML / CSS are not really Coding languages, more Scripting, I am always learning new ways to script in these languages and trying to improve my skills and knowledge with them. It's my passion and I enjoy doing web-design. I know quite a lot of the syntax (85% perhaps?) but obviously like anything, there is always more room to improve.

I am currently learning PHP and just dabbling into JS - trying to get to grips with how it works and how I can make certain things.
 
HTML and CSS are "coding languages", though that term is a little iffy. All languages are codes, even English. I think you meant that HTML and CSS aren't programming languages.

Anyhow, I'm at least a bit familiar with C#, Ruby, C, C++, PHP, Python, VB.Net(starting to forget it though, thankfully), Javascript, and Java. And I can understand Lisp occasionally :P (neat language).

When it comes to actually knowing the languages though, I'm, sadly, most comfortable with PHP. I can work with those other languages much of the time without much issue, but I am far from intimate with them. I'm using node.js rather than PHP lately, and am becoming ever-more comfortable with Javascript and all of its ins and outs. I am currently working on expanding my knowledge of C and Javascript.
 
I mainly do frontend web developement with HTML5(HTML, CSS3 and Javascript), but I've also got some knowledge of PHP. Although software design isn't really my forte, I plan to get more into it over the time. As of now, I'm starting on the lowest practical level and building my way up. :)
 
HTML+CSS+Javascript+jQuery+requireJS I know those well enough although I am not using them as often as I would've wanted to.

C/C++ my main language, used on daily basis for the last few years

C#(+XAML) my second language, I use it pretty often and still learning new things

ASP I used to know it pretty well, started to forgot since I haven't use it for ages.

My freetime is terrible and I am only learning Ruby at the moment.
 
HTML - pretty good

CSS - Terrible at making websites look good but I can style elements

PHP - person favourite, I can code almost anything in PHP

JavaScript - I've always considered JavaScript to be more focused around design and I prefer web development so I only know basics

AJAX - (basically JavaScript) I use it some times but I still use Google to remember the basics

SQL - about a 7/10

Python - I know enough to make simple applications (text adventure games and such like)

Java - Still learning but I'm learning quickly and have already made some simple applications

C# - Umm... No.

C++ - My limit is probably a "Hello World" application

VB - I started looking into it but it didn't interest me



I get bored of languages when I don't learn the basics quick enough to make something interesting
 
The two languages I primarily use are Java and Ruby. I've had experience with C(++) and PHP, and I can understand C# fairly well. Tried looking into a functional language (I was looking into Lisp) - my current project involves me using Node and Rails (I have some js knowledge)
 
Last edited:
HTML - pretty good

CSS - Terrible at making websites look good but I can style elements

PHP - person favourite, I can code almost anything in PHP

JavaScript - I've always considered JavaScript to be more focused around design and I prefer web development so I only know basics

AJAX - (basically JavaScript) I use it some times but I still use Google to remember the basics

SQL - about a 7/10

Python - I know enough to make simple applications (text adventure games and such like)

Java - Still learning but I'm learning quickly and have already made some simple applications

C# - Umm... No.

C++ - My limit is probably a "Hello World" application

VB - I started looking into it but it didn't interest me



I get bored of languages when I don't learn the basics quick enough to make something interesting

Just like me, except that I can code pretty nicely in Python.
 
Web Development
  • PHP
    • Code Igniter
  • Database (PDO)
    • MySQL
    • SQLlite
  • JavaScript
    • jQuery
  • HTML
    • Bootstrap
Other
  • C#
  • VB.NET
  • C++ (lol, can't understand why i did learn it)

Order in witch i learned :D
  1. C++
    • After learning basic c++ everything else was piece of cake, lol, but i don't recommend to learn it if you don't have specified reason to do so, i know c++ but i don't have real use for it since, it has "big" learning curve and i just got bored to learn and learn, i just didn't have patience to master it...
  2. VB.NET
    • I like it, i use sometimes to make basic tools, but can't be used in anything serious, since none respects this language authoratah...
  3. C#
    • Best language to learn for beginners, but maybe it's just me :D
  4. PHP
    1. My favorite language despite it's flaws...
 
Last edited:
Anyone here codes ColdFusion? I would like someone to explain me about his experience on that language.

I tried some basics back when I was still learning HTML but at the time it just confused me even further. As it isn't often used I didn't feel the need to learn it.
 
Back