What languages do you code in?

Programming Languages:
C# - I know it in and out, used it alot. My favourite, also works fine (most times ;)) on Linux with Mono.
Java - I use it occasionally for Web Development (JSP, Struts)
Delphi - Using it every day at job
XSLT - great for data transformation, I use it mostly to "translate" between file based interfaces
PL/SQL - have to do it, and I don't like it
Javascript - I'm using it occasionally. libs: jQuery, jqGrid, jQueryUI, three.js
VB.NET - Used it for a few months, and I try to forget it :vroam:

Query/Markup/Whatever Languages:
SQL - Oracle most of the time, MSSQL & MySQL sometimes
XML, XPath
RegEx
HTML
CSS
 
Last edited:
It's been a while since I heard about Delphi and didn't know it's still active. What kind of software do you build on it?
Logistic software - transport planning and generally everything which is interesting for carriers. We are migrating to C#, but still have to extend/support the delphi code (about 3mio LOC).
 
That's actually pretty good and I've heard it's very popular as well. Its syntax is pretty easy but some operators are frustratingly inconsistent. You should be careful with where you take your examples from because the vast user base is mostly noobs who'll commit the first thing they get typed out even if no interpreter can run it correctly. Can you write unit tests for it? What kind of frameworks are available?
 
That's actually pretty good and I've heard it's very popular as well. Its syntax is pretty easy but some operators are frustratingly inconsistent. You should be careful with where you take your examples from because the vast user base is mostly noobs who'll commit the first thing they get typed out even if no interpreter can run it correctly. Can you write unit tests for it? What kind of frameworks are available?

This is true. Most people confuse the purpose of the comma and apostrophe operators. It's also case sensitive, and periods are required after each statement. It's tough to master, almost as hard as C++.

We tried using natural language processing to unit test our code but, unfortunately, it didn't work out very well. So what we do is get Universities here in the US to have their English majors proofread our code. It serves as a good baseline for them to learn common mistakes in the language as well as to provide a valuable service. They find bugs all the time and fix them with lots of red ink.

We've tried some frameworks. There's one called Jargonify, but we decided it's too cryptic. We find that it's better to build our own jargon as it's much easier to understand "left reduce the array" than "squash items". When I read the latter, I suddenly get hungry. What really matters to us at the end of the day is code readability.
 
Last edited:
Anyone here codes ColdFusion? I would like someone to explain me about his experience on that language.

Some procedural (spaghetti code :P:). I know my way around and I'm comfortable. I've recently started looking at MVC patterns for CF. If you ever want to take a look - give 'Framework One' a Google - it's neat!

I tried some basics back when I was still learning HTML but at the time it just confused me even further. As it isn't often used I didn't feel the need to learn it.

Presumably CFML? If you were ever tempted, give CFScript some thought - it's, as you can gather from the name, semantics are similar to that of PHP, etc.

Being CF, it does still differ in terms of operators and such - but CFScript, as opposed to CFML takes a hell of a lot less to do what you want it to do.

-

As for languages - besides Coldfusion, I'm very comfortable with HTML, CSS and Javascript (incorporating jQuery). I'm learning C# extensively, but I've still a while before I can even say I know 'enough to do what I want with it'.
 
Java - the first language I learned and the one I am the most familiar with. I just this one the most. I am constantly focusing on improving my abilities with it, mostly by writing small programs that focus the topic I practice.

C# - I know the syntax and can make some stuff with it (it's also very familiar to Java).

C++ - I am currently learning it. I know the basics and the syntax but haven't attempted any actual work with it yet, as I still want to learn more about it.

HTML-CSS - I know HTML pretty good, I learned it when I was 6 years old (I was maintaining my school website since 2nd to 6th grade, lol. It was a really basic one, though). As for CSS, I am able to style pages, but I am a terrible designer... :P:

Javascript - I know how it works but never actually did anything with it.

PHP - very basic.


Also, I am an expert in LOLCode. :junglejane:
-Sent from my mobile-
 
C# - My niche programming language. I use it for Windows Forms Programming, as well as solving some mathematical problems. It's a wonderful language, but because it is a .NET Language, cross platform compatibility is often an issue.

C\C++ - I use it for my Robotics projects. When direct memory access is important, I sometimes interop C\C++ into other programming languages.

Java - Very useful for mobile apps. I often code in Java when cross platform compatibility is required. I've used Java for Robotics too, though i seriously discourage it over C\C++ due to the huge amount of size it takes up on the microprocessors.

PARI/GP - Used when solving hardcore mathematical problems, often those found on Project Euler.

CMD Batch programming - A great way to test my luck and gain admin rights, if I'm lucky, to school computers.
 
I mostly use Java and Ruby which i'm rather experienced in syntax wise.

However i am still fairly fluent in: C, C#, C++, CUDA/C and Objective-C

With C/C++ & CUDA/C I generally only use them for a specified purpose as it's a great way to manage resources and provide parallelism if needed.

C# & Objective-C only ever get used if i have to target a specific platform or it's a requirement.
 
In my major time i use Java and C++ only..
They're pretty sweet and i use them in all of my project, sometime python.

Python are sweet for beginners, Trust me! :)
 
- All the basic languages like HTML, CSS, etc.
- PHP, I know it very well and like using it
- C#, I know just a bit more than basics and can code quite some nice things already. Does get me a little bored after a while though
- Javascript, pretty advanced skills
- GML, I know it well and use it a lot
- MySQL, advanced level.

That' s pretty much it ;P
 
You sure? Studying a new language is a good way to open your mind and make you better in the language(s) you already use, as well!

I agree. Learning a new language is a great way to give yourself new experiences and open your mind to code better in the language you currently code in. :)
 
Back